Duties of the Project Manager During the Implementing Phase
By John Filicetti
- Ensure Client notifies end-users of all deployment dates.
- Creates Project Status Report on a regular basis, distributes the report to stakeholders, and posts the report to the project workspace.
- PM assigns tasks to resources and gathers information from the team when updates are made. PM approves all work and reviews/manages project schedule updates. (Note: It is a good idea to go over weekly tasks with team on Monday and have review of week with team on Friday.)
- PM meets with other PMs and Resource Managers to review resource allocation and utilization.
- PM chairs all Status Meetings:
- PM fills out Meeting Report for all meetings and distributes to team as agenda prior to meeting along with current RAIDCBT and Project Schedule.
- PM updates Meeting Report with minutes during meeting and distributes to Client PM and project team.
- Discuss week’s goals.
- Discuss week accomplishments.
- Review/update all open issues using RAIDCBT.
- Review/update items in Project Schedule.
- RAIDCBT is updated during the Status Meeting; the PM escalates issues and action items as needed; tracking all issues and action items to resolution.
- Allow time for sharing and discussion, but limit meeting to 1 hour.
- PM distributes all updated documents to Client PM and project team.
- PM manages and tracks Project Schedule and ensures invoices are issued and all expenses tracked.
- PM manages Issue and Incident Escalation Process. All issues are assigned to a person and managed to resolution.
- PM ensures Client, project stakeholders, and team members have all documents.
- PM insures scope of work matches scope of agreement with client.
- PM manages Change Control. Any change requested by the Client will be reviewed by the PM for impact and cost and be managed through the Change Control process.
- PM directs the creation and testing of the Deployment and Contingency Plans.
- PM reviews team’s work for quality ensuring scope of work matches scope of agreement with client.
John F. Filicetti, PMP, MBA
John Filicetti is a Sr. Sales Engineer/PM-PMO-PPM Consultant with a great depth of experience and expertise in enterprise project management, project management methodologies, Project Portfolio Management (PPM), Project Management Offices (PMOs), Governance, process consulting, and business management. John has directed and managed project management teams, created and implemented methodologies and practices, provided project management consulting, created and directed PMOs, and created consulting and professional services in such areas as project portfolio management, Governance, business process re-engineering, network systems integration, application development, infrastructure, and complex environments. John has enjoyed many years as PMO Director for large corporations in the Seattle area and leads the PMO Roundtable discussion group and forum.
No comments yet.