Resource & Task Matrix
A resource and task matrix has the ability to show each person who will be working on a project, as well as their specific, individual responsibilities. It allows all team members to know who is working on what, who is assigned to help them, and what his or her tasks are.
This type of matrix is not particularly useful if each person in a project has a single assignment, or when there is only one task involved in the completion of a project. However, for more complicated projects that have numerous activities and persons involved, a resource and task matrix can greatly organize and simplify the process.
- Identify the project. Determine what project you will be making a resource and task matrix for.
- Determine resources and tasks. Know what tasks must be completed throughout the project as well as who will be working on each task.
- Create the diagram. Create a table with a row for each person involved in the project and a column for each task. Place the names of the people involved in the boxes on the far left of the table. Then place descriptions of the tasks in the boxes along the top of the table.
- Make assignments. Assign specific individuals to their tasks. In doing so, place an “x” in the corresponding box. There may be more than one person working a task, or a person may have more than one task. That’s alright and is exactly what the resource and task matrix is meant to handle.
- Inform. Be sure that everyone knows his or her responsibilities and post the diagram somewhere where everyone involved will have easy access to it if they need to know who else is working on a task with them.
SmartDraw.com is the creator of SmartDraw, the world’s most popular business graphics software and the first program that makes it possible for ordinary computer users to create presentation-quality business graphics in minutes. Each year more than two million people install and use SmartDraw and the company counts more than half of the members of the Fortune 500 as loyal customers.
Founded in 1994, SmartDraw.com is privately-held and based in San Diego, CA. In addition to SmartDraw 2008 for general business and home use, the company also offers SmartDraw Healthcare and SmartDraw Legal editions which include graphics and applications unique to their respective fields. For more information on the company or to download a free trial of SmartDraw, please visit www.smartdraw.com.
No comments yet.