The Project Handover Checklist
By Ron Rosenhead
Here’s a brief checklist of what could be included in the project handover plan:
- Identifying and managing key stakeholders including the group who will receive the handover
- A clear date for handover of the project
- A communication plan that starts early in the life of the project and includes the target group
- Change management issues and how they will be handled
- Getting the target group involved as early as possible including someone being on the project team who also acts as a change agent
- Developing appropriate training for this group or ensuring it is included in the handover plan
- Clear risk management
- Having clear roles for the recipients in the department taking on the new work e.g. it may not be your responsibility for organizing the training, it could be their responsibility
Your project handover checklist will no doubt be different having more project specific items. It does however reflect the need to develop a plan that works for your project and for the group taking on this new piece of work.
Some Project Managers may take a different approach: They see handover as one of the stages of the project, and have someone manage that particular aspect. They involve stakeholders and staff from the appropriate areas. In this case, the stage is seen as part of the overall project.
So next time you are working on a project; is a handover plan appropriate? If yes, have you taken key stakeholders along with you and are you managing all the change management requirements?
Ron Rosenhead is a trainer, consultant speaker and coach all in the area of project management. He has vast consultancy and training experience and you can read his blog at http://www.ronrosenhead.co.uk
No comments yet.